2/14/14

Being Content In Our Lives

(Hebrews 13:5)



I came across a lesson not long ago regarding being content in our lives. I don't know about you, but life around our house can get fairly crazy at times. It is all too easy to get caught up in all the things we think we must have, must do, must achieve. Hebrews 13:5 is a good lesson to help refocus our sights.

My goal each week is to give kids a memory visual to tuck away in their memory banks for future reference. Today's craft is all about their memory visual. I hope from now on, whenever they see an owl, they will remember God's words, "I will never leave you; I will never run away from you." Be sure to point out to them the "Owl = I will" connection, just in case they don't immediately get it.


Yes, I originally saw the owl pillow box on - you guessed it - Pinterest! But, to be honest, I've seen it so many times, in a multitude of variations, that there is not one specific one for me to link back to... and I have never seen one that used it in connection with a bible verse, so I'll just give that little disclaimer and let that be that. :)






Materials:


Assorted decorative papers
heart punch
circle punch
glue or spray adhesive
black sharpie or black paper
toilet paper tube
gummy worms (shown above)
Preprinted bible verse (shown below)






Instructions:


1) Cut a decorative piece of paper to fit around the toilet paper roll.

2) Spray adhesive on the back and wrap around toilet paper roll. I prefer some form of spray adhesive, but any glue is fine.


3) To fold the tube into the owl shape, very gently press the tube so it just begins to flatten. Do not over-do-it here. The purpose is to make it easier to get the top and bottom folds aligned the same. Gently push in the center of the top edge on one side to get it to fold down. Do the same on the other side. Repeat on the bottom.


4) Punch two heart shapes out of decorative paper - one for the chest and one for the wings. Simply cut one heart in half to form the wings.


5) Glue chest heart and wings into place.


6) Punch a third heart for the beak. Use only the bottom point of the heart. Discard the upper portion of the heart.


7) Glue beak into place.


8) Punch two white circles for the eyes. I did not have a solid black piece of paper handy so we used a black sharpie to color in the black pupil of the eyes. Either way is fine.


9) Glue eyes into place.


10) Glue the preprinted verse along the back of the owl.


11) Fill with gummy worms. 

             (I don't usually do food treats since there are so many allergies 
             in our church, but I don't know of any issues with gummy worms, 
              and this is so cute that I gave in to it this time.)







NOTE:  All images, text and printables contained herein are copyright protected. This material is for your personal use only. I encourage you to print or pin from this site whenever you would like as long as it is credited and linked back to EasyBreezySundaySchool.blogspot.com. Failure to link back and credit my site constitutes a copyright violation.  Thanks so much!

No comments: